Text it, email it, print it, or send a greeting card, but don’t miss wishing those special ladies who’ve mothered you a Happy Mother’s Day! Your daughter, a new mom, your sister, or a frazzled friend will light up at your encouragement, too. Flowers and gifts are nice, but nothing but words are words. What words will you give her?
but don’t miss wishing those special ladies who’ve mothered you a Happy Mother’s Day! Your daughter, a new mom, your sister, or a frazzled friend will light up at your encouragement, too. Flowers and gifts are nice, but nothing but words are words. What words will you give her?
- Start with what you know she likes. Consider her hobbies, pets, colors she wears often. Is this the year to tickle her funny bone or warm her heart?
- Find a card that features her favorites and write a few words just for her inside, or choose a pre-written message and make it personal with a line or two of your own.
- Don’t let the process paralyze your good intentions. Sending any card, any email, any text is better than missing the opportunity to celebrate your favorite moms.
Browsing our selection of sample Mother’s Day messages may be all you need to get inspired!
Mother’s Day Quotes
Mother’s inspire us, and sometimes we write about them. A well-chosen quote can enhance your Mother’s Day card and make it memorable.
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual, it comes with a mother.” – Unknown
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” – Erich Fromm
- “To the
worldyou are a Mother, but to your family, you are the World.” – Unknown
- “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Meymillod
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a moment, but their hearts forever.” – Unknown
- “He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your
mother’sfor you leaves its own mark.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter andthe Sorcerer’s Stone
- “A mother’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” – Unknown
- “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” – Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- “Mothers are smiles and hugs and caring, but, most of all, they’re love.” – Unknown
- “Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love
andfearlessness…” – Stevie Wonder
- “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Children are the anchors that hold a mother to
life.” – Sophocles
- “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” – Jane Sellman
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” – Milton Berle
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” – Maya Angelou
- “If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way mom told you to in the beginning.” – Unknown
- “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” – Princess Diana
- “A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children obstetrically once and by car forever after.” – Peter DeVries
Mother’s day messages
What moms want most for Mother’s Day is to hear from their sons and daughters, period. You’re the one who can make that happen! Use these sample messages to spark your own idea, or choose one she’ll love and personalize it with a sentence or two. Flowers? Sure, but it’s the words you give her that will stay in her heart.
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a moment, but their hearts forever.” The love and security you’ve always given me still holds me steady every day, Mom. Enjoy your Mother’s Day!
- The washer and dryer are empty! The dishes are cleared! The clutter is gone! Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! (Don’t open the hall closet!)
- You’re the Queen of Mothers, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day from your royal pain in the neck!
- The older I get, the more I see that you nurtured me to not only grow up but to flourish. Thank you, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Wishing you all the best, Mom, today and always. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Mom of the Year? Right here! Love you, Mom. Enjoy your day!
- “To the
worldyou are a Mother, but to your family, you are the World.” So true, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Your unconditional love has gotten me through so much in life. Thank you for being my mom. I love you so much!
- Did you see your HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! on the mirror in the bathroom? Also, we need toothpaste. Love you lots, Mom!
- Even when it was hard, you did your best to give me wings. Thanks, Mom. Love you always!
- Whole. Day. Off. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! Relax and enjoy!
- You have mad skillz, Mom, and we couldn’t make it without you! Happy Mother’s Day to a Legend!
- Raising me, Mom, was often discouraging and always hard. Thank you for not giving up. Thank you for always looking at me with love. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!
- Here’s to you, Mom, a woman of strength and courage and joy! Celebrating you today!
- With warm wishes and much love, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Have the most super best amazingly outstanding wonderful day, Mom! You deserve it!
- All those skinned knees taught me to run to you first, and I would feel so much better. I still do. Love you so much, Mom. Have a beautiful Mother’s Day!
- Mom, may all the love you’ve thrown out there come back to smack you in the nicest way. Happy Mom’s Day!
- There are only a couple of ways you could possibly improve, Mom. More ice cream. Less kale. Done. Happy Mother’s Day to a Great Mom!
- Enjoy the day, Mom, and remember how much you’re loved all year! Happy Mother’s Day!
Grandma, Nana, GiGi, MeMaw – whatever you call your grandmother, Mother’s Day is for her, too! Spur your creative thinking with the samples below, or use one of them plus an original line or two to make her card unique. For even more ideas, browse our “For Mother” samples. You’ll find that many of them are a small edit away from being just right for Grandma, too.
- It’s not hard to picture you and me, Grandma, being best buddies forever! Happy Mother’s Day!
- Pretend I’m right there with you, Grandma, and you’re getting the squeeziest hug ever! Love you on Mother’s Day and always!
- You’ve sown so many seeds of love, Grandma, it’s no wonder you have a garden full of people who love you. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Tickles and walks and cookies and swings going high – all these make me think of you, Grandma, and that makes me smile! Happy Mother’s Day!
- I love you, Grandma! Have a Mother’s Day that’s as bright and beautiful as a spring bouquet!
- Grandma, you anchor me when life gets rough. You’ll never know how much I count on that, how much I love you. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!
- If love were flowers, only the world’s biggest bouquet could show how much I love you, Grandma! Happy Mother’s Day!
- Grandma, your hugs tell me I’m loved, loved, loved, and I love, love, love you back! Happy Mother’s Day!
- I didn’t choose which grandma I would get, but it worked out great – you’re the very best one yet! Happy Mother’s Day, Grandma!
- You’re such an important person in my life, Grandma. Thank you for all the time and love you give me. Happy Mother’s Day!
For My Wife or Partner
The mothering she pours into your children is a gift to you, too. Let her know you’ve noticed, that you appreciate the time and effort she puts into being a mom. It can be short and sweet, but don’t let it be overlooked. Okay, then.
- “To the
worldyou are a Mother, but to your family, you are the World.” You really are, Sweetheart. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day to my wife, a woman of strength and courage and joy. Celebrating you today, Tara!
- We’d not only make messes,
we’dbe messes without you, Haley! Thanks for all you do for our kids, for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You being a mom is a beautiful dance, Jessica. Mesmerizing gentleness. Energized motion. Always full of grace and heart. Love you on Mother’s Day and always!
- You have mad Mom Skillz, babe, and we couldn’t make it without you! Happy Mother’s Day to a Legend!
- All our dreams haven’t been realized yet, but if we stopped right here, it would be enough. Love you, love the children you’ve carried and birthed and mothered. Happiest of Mother’s Days, Elise!
- You make it look so easy, Kate, but I realize how much effort you put into being such a great mom. Happy Mother’s Day, with love and appreciation!
- Enjoy the day, Annie, and remember how much you’re loved all year! Happy Mother’s Day!
- You’ve given me the gift of children, the joy of family, the treasure of a wife I love with all my heart. Happy Mother’s Day, Samantha!
- It’s a crazy life, but I love living it with you and our kids! Happy Mother’s Day, Char!
For Daughter – or Granddaughter
- I’m so proud of you, Jenny! You’ve grown into a woman of substance and accomplishment and compassion. My grandchildren are blessed to have you for their mom!
- It moves my heart to see my baby with her baby. You’re a great mom, Becca! Happy Mother’s Day!
- You’re such a fun mom, Amy! Your kids will never forget the time you’ve spent with them. I’m proud of you, sweetheart, and love you forever. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day, Hannah! I’ve loved being your mom, and I love watching you be one. You do it so well!
- All those threats that you’d have kids just like you? Thankfully, they worked! Happy Mother’s Day, Marla! You’re a wonderful mom to my grandkids
- You’re such a great mom, Kim, but I’m not surprised. You’re a great sister and a great person! Have fun on Mother’s Day!
- Who knew when we were playing dolls that we’d never hold our babies by the elbow? Happy Mother’s Day, Sis! Love you!
- Sis, may all the love you’ve thrown out there come back to smack you in the nicest way. Happy Mom’s Day, Alicia!
- It can be hard to see it from the center of the chaos, but, believe me, Terri, you’re doing a great job with your kids! Happy Mother’s Day, Sis!
- You were always my mini-mom, sis, and the practice shows. You’re doing great with Logan and Piper! Have a Happy Mother’s Day, Tamara!
- “To the
worldyou are a Mother, but to your family, you are the World.” You’re a great mom, Dahlia! Happy Mother’s Day!
- Here’s to you, Becky, a woman of strength and courage and joy! Celebrating you on Mother’s Day!
- You’re not only a great mom to your kids, Greta, you’re a great Second Mom to mine! Happy Mother’s Day!
- Have the most super best amazingly outstanding wonderful day, Pam! You deserve a great Mother’s Day!
- Lori, may all the love you’ve thrown out there come back to smack you in the nicest way. Happy Mom’s Day, Friend!
Mom-to-Be Mother’s Day
- Shadowy images tease our hearts with
longingto hold this boy, already loved, already your son. Happy Mother’s Day, Amanda!
- It’s a time to be filled with wonder at butterfly kicks and tiny hiccups, to have fun collecting miniature socks and soft sleepers. And today? It’s time to enjoy a very happy Mother’s Day, Sierra!
- She’s so very tiny, growing month by month, but she’s already your daughter. You’re already her mother. Happy Mother’s Day, Liz!
- From now on, you will always be a mother. What an honor! Happy Mother’s Day, Charlotte!
- Soon, your sweet baby will be snuggled in your arms, and it will be worth every cry, every floor-walking minute to mother the child you already love so much. Have a Happy Mother’s Day, Jana!
For New Mom/First Mother’s Day
- All the fingers and toes, the tiny nose. How precious he is! What a gift to hold on Mother’s Day. Happy First Mother’s Day, Anna!
- It may be your first Mother’s Day, but you’re already a pro at this “mother’s love” thing. Have a lovely day, Beth!
- Have a wonderful First Mother’s Day, Megan, filled with sweet cuddles and moments to treasure. You’re doing great at this mom thing!
- Before long, she’ll say, “Mama” and your heart will melt even more. For now, having her in your arms is love enough. Happy First Mother’s Day, Emily!
- There will be other Mother’s Days, but this one? Special. Happy First Mother’s Day, Sara!
Like a Mother to Me
- How did I get so lucky to have extra moms? You mean so much to me, Betty, and I’ll always treasure you. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I was always that extra kid at your table, and you were always setting another plate with a smile just for me. Happy Mother’s Day, Rhonda! You’ve added so much love to my life.
- That mom who’s like your second mom? That’s you, Linda. And I’ll always be grateful. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You were there when I needed an extra helping of mothering. Thank you, Debbie, and Happy Mother’s Day!
- Every kid was sure they were your favorite. How did you do that? You mothered us all like we were your own. Happy Mother’s Day, Nancy!